The tendency for automation is gearing up in the software industry. Automation will reduce the time consumption and reduce the expenditure considerably as less manpower is required when you automate your processes.
When the question of automation comes up usually there arise two questions; which tool and framework to use. Tools can be selected based on the nature of the application, nature of proposed tests. Price of the tool and expertise of the team members also should be taken into consideration while choosing the right tool.
The next thing is automation framework. Framework is nothing but a set of guidelines or good practices which help in the smooth execution of tests. There are different types of frameworks and one should have thorough knowledge of these frameworks to choose the right one.
Types of Automation Frameworks
Basically there are four different types of automation frameworks.
- Linear Automation Framework: – It is a automation framework based on record and play and it follows the procedural code. This is recommended for small projects and for smoke tests where only basic tests are executed.
- Structured Automation Framework: – In structured automation framework, loops, “if else”, “Switch” and conditional statements are used to write test cases in a more structured way. However, it does not have any modularity or functionality to make the framework more flexible.
- Modular Automation Framework: – Modular automation framework is more flexible as reusable code is put in some functions and the functions will be called whenever it is required.
- Data driven Automation Framework: – In data driven automation framework, parameters in the testcase will be linked to the database, excel, csv text files and from there the testcase will run for all defined parameters. This framework is more often used when there is a need to repeat the same test for different sets of data.
- Keyword Driven Automation Framework: – Here the term “keyword” denotes a code that represents some specific action, for example “login”. Set of codes representing certain action will be mapped with a keyword and the keyword will be used in this framework.
- Hybrid Automation Framework: – When two or more frameworks are combined together, it is called as hybrid automation framework. The mostly used hybrid automation framework is Modular automation framework + Data driven automation framework + Keyword driven automation framework.