Selenium, world’s most widely used test automation tool is compatible with many programming languages. Still, most of the Selenium experts are using Java Programming for Selenium. Selenium webdriver is written in java and hence working with java is more comfortable. Secondly, as almost 80% of the selenium experts are using java, there is a lot of chances for getting technical assistance from the selenium community.
Why Java Programming for Selenium?
Why java for selenium is a frequently asked question. There are many reasons and the most important one is that Selenium is written in Java and hence it will be more comfortable to work with it. Secondly, getting technical assistance is easy as the majority of the selenium experts are using Java to work with selenium. Finally, java is a platform free language and hence can be used in any open platform.
However, Java core is enough to work with selenium and advanced Java is not required. Java fundamentals and OOPS concepts are used widely.
- Comments in Java: – for making codes readable and for making codes disable from execution. Java supports single line and multiple line comments.
- Data Types in Java: – A data type is the classification of the data types that can be held by a variable or an object in a computer programming. Two categories of data types are supported by java, primitive data type, and reference data type.
- Java Modifiers: – Modifiers are using for setting access levels for classes, variables, and methods.
- Variables in Java: – A named location to store data temporarily in a program. There are three types of variables and they are a local variable, instance variable, and class or static variable.
- Operators in Java: – Which are used for performing comparison and mathematical or logical operations. There are different types of operators such as arithmetical operators, relational operators, logical operators, bitwise operators, assignment operators and miscellaneous operators.
- Conditional statements: – If statement and Switch statement are the two types of conditional statements.
- Loop statements: – They are used for repetitive execution. For loop, while loop, do while loop and enhanced for loop are the four different types of loop statements in java.
- Arrays in java: Arrays in java is a collection of similar type of elements. It can be an object containing similar data types.
- Java Methods: – Methods are also known as functions. Functions are used in structured programs and methods are used in object oriented programming. Built in methods and user-defined methods are the two types of methods in java.
- Regular expressions: – A formula for matching patterns.
- IO operations and File Handling in Java: – Containing different classes to perform output and input operations.
- Exception handling in java: – A powerful mechanism to handle abnormal conditions.
Besides these four basic OOPS concepts in java is also frequently used while working with selenium and they are;
Java packages, interfaces in Java, Java programming hierarchy are the other areas one should be thorough with for working with selenium.