Website testing is a complicated process and it creates a lot of confusion among the testers. Most interesting fact is that there is no specific rule for testing websites. A rule that is suitable for one website may not be applicable in the case of other websites. Here, you need to follow another rule. Here is a complete checklist for website testing which will certainly help you to execute the test successfully.
At first, let us see what all tests are to be performed as a part of functionality testing of a webiste.
Complete Checklist for Functionality Testing
- First you should check whether a valid HTML is used for the website. Here, you can use W3C validator for this purpose.
- Different fields in the websites such as text boxes, dropdown, radio options, check boxes, links etc should be validated.
- CSS is being used widely in websites nowadays. There are many CSS validator tools are available and one of the most trustworthy one is W3C CSS validator. You may use this tool for validating your CSS.
Links/ URL Testing
URL testing is very helpful for Search Engine Optimization of your website and the following types of testings can be carried out for Links.
- Internal Links: – The links that are leading to the pages of same website are called as internal links. This testing is meant for ensuring that the links are properly working and will guide the visitor to the concerned pages.
- External Links: – External links are those links which will lead the visitor to the pages of other websites. This test is meant for ensuring that all the external links are working properly and will lead the visitors to the concerned pages.
- Email Links: – This test is to ensure that when a visitor click on this link the default email client will get opened with the “To” address prefilled.
- Broken Links: – Broken links or dead links as they are more commonly called as are those links which are not functioning properly. Those links will not lead visitors either to an internal page or an external page. Broken links can be a result of wrongly typed address or because the of the removal of the page to which it is leading the visitors. There are different tools to check and validate broken links.
Web Forms Testing
Web forms are important things in a website which facilitate the interaction with the visitor and the admin or owner of the website. Hence, they should be properly working and this test is meant for ensuring the proper functioning of Web Forms.
Computer applications have become more complex with the arrival of new technologies such as Android and smart phones. When the front end is complex even the back end also will be equally complex and complicated. Here is the need to use more complex database schema to support the applications. Here the database should be tested properly to avoid any unwanted happenings.
Cookies are information stored in text files in the user’s hard drive by the web server. Generally Cookies used for storing personalized user information in encrypted or secured way and later web browser will use this information while accessing the website. These files are of small size and usually help the website to remember a specific user for a given point of time. These files are not harmful to the users but it can create a headache if these files are being hacked by the hackers and the access to the personal information stored in cookies. Hence, it is necessary to test cookies quite often.
Error Messages Testing
Usually the error messages are really helpful in guiding the visitors to successful or erroneous conditions. Hence they should be tested thoroughly.
Required Field and Optional Field Validation
This testing is for ensuring the proper functioning of required field and option fields
Client- Side Testing
This, really comes under security testing and here the testing is aimed at ensuring that the sensitive data is not stored in any temporary internet files and it is stored encrypted
These all are the non-functionality tests to be done.
This testing is aimed at testing the overall performance of the website such as responsiveness, speed , scalability etc. This test is not for finding the default in the website but to identify the bottlenecks and to get rid of them . This test is also aiming at checking the amount of load or stress the system can withstand.
Web Usability Testing
This is a black box type testing which should be conducted from the perspective of a user. Web usability is an important thing that is needed for the survival of the website. If the website is difficult to use, the visitors will shift to competitor’s website. If the contents of the pages are difficult to read and understand, certainly the visitors will search for some other pages for getting the information. All these will come under usability testing. Usability testing can be categorized into three categories.
- Ensure that the load time of the site is reasonable
- Font size and the space between the lines should be proper so that the reading will be easier.
- Proper use of Flash and Addons on the webpages.
- Use of proper ALT tags for all the images used in the website
- Error 404 or Page not Found messages should be provided in case of any broken links.
- Website’s logo should be placed at a prominent place such as right top corner.
- Tagline should be proper and it should clearly indicates the purpose of the website.
- Name of the company and the contact details should be mentioned clearly.
- Clear and descriptive headlines. Heading tags including H1, H2, etc should be used properly.
- Critical content should be displayed on the first screen in average screen resolution of 1024 x768
- Uniform fonts and text color should be maintained through out the websites which will help the user to identify them with your website easily.
- Use meaningful keywords in URL as it will help both the search engine and the user.
- Meaningful and self explanatory titles should be given to each page.
This is another most important testing that comes under website application testing. This is to ensure that the website is compatible and works properly on multiple browsers and multiple versions of browsers. Here, a website will be tested on multiple versions of different browsers and also on different operating systems. The website will be tested on hardware with different configurations, networks with different configurations and also on screens with different resolutions.
Web Security Testing
This testing is also of great significance and it is aimed at identifying the vulnerabilities of websites. It will be done to ensure the security of data inside the websites and contains following checkings.
- Penetration Testing
- Password Cracking
- URL manipulation
- SQL injection
- Cross Site Scripting